Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Waiting in long Amusement Park lines may actually be a good thing sometimes


The next time you may choose to complain about waiting in long lines, especially at amusement parks -- recall this personal story that happened to me and shows that sometimes the absence of lines or waiting can actually be detrimental!
My personal experience last April at the Lagoon Amusement Park in Farmington, Utah illustrates what I mean:
Lagoon was unusually uncrowded that day. Essentially, from 10-11:30 a.m., there were no lines and only 100 or so people in the park at most.
My 13-year-old son, Taylor, and I did a personal record of 10 rides in less than 60 minutes. That’s five consecutive times riding Wicked, a world-class roller coaster; and single rides for the Spider, Colossus; Wild Mouse; Rock-o-Plane; and the wooden Roller Coaster. We narrowly missed the start of Turn of the Century, before the full hour was gone, or we’d have hit 11 rides.
(Our previous record was seven rides in an hour.)
We were the only two people on some of these rides. The downside is I started to get sick (headache, nausea) for the first time ever on amusement rides and even my son felt a little sick.
That’s because with no lines to wait for, you can literally ride yourself sick! No time to rest or recover in between. I had to go home, lay down and required several hours to recover from that compact span of riding. My son was recovered in 15 minutes, though.
So, the next time you complain about long lines, remember the possible alternative to no lines! They may have a hidden benefit.

(Photo is the Wicked Roller Coaster.)

NOTE: All the above is my own, independent opinion. Lagoon gives me no pay, perks or compensation.

No comments:

Post a Comment