Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Should the U.S. Government Regulate Oil Prices?

I'm not a fan of too much government regulation, but hey, technically with public service commissions, the government already regulates the cost I pay for electricity and natural gas... so why not oil?
After all, a high cost of oil means everything goes up.
(For example, I bet some service repair companies will be raising their rates later this spring or summer to compensate for higher gasoline prices. But, when oil prices dip in winter, these companies won't be lowering their fees -- they will remain forever high.)
I'm tired of the oil industry looking for every little shred of POSSIBLE, not actual bad news, as an excuse to raise prices.
Short supply is one thing, but speculation on Wall Street is not reality.
So, I'd sooner see the U.S. government figure out how to regulate the price of oil in the U.S.
I'm sure they would have to add export fees also, if too many oil companies favored getting more money overseas for oil, but the current oil pricing structure is pure bogus.
I am also tired of paying for the REPLACEMENT cost of every gallon of gas I buy at the pump. That pricing structure only favors the oil company's pocket books.
And, always consider that the AVERAGE price of a gallon of gas isn't a true look at prices. The wide variance of state taxes on gasoline make that comparison a fallacy. I'm certain oil company's HIDE behind that kind of price comparisons.

No comments:

Post a Comment