Tuesday, August 15, 2023

A Tribute to the late Chuck Gates

 


  Charles "Chuck" Joseph Gates, Jr., 66, passed away on August 9, 2023 in Ogden, Utah.

He and I first crossed paths in 1981 and initially, we talked a lot about dating problems with current and past girlfriends, as we were both single then. We created a bond early on.

 Chuck always seemed so cool and calm, someone special to respect and look up to. We worked at the same place for some 27 years. He was one of my bosses for 15 of those years. We both eventually got laid off just a few months apart. He wanted me to invest in a possible business with him a few weeks after I was let go. I said no, as it seemed too risky.

On the other hand, I don't think anyone else had ever trusted me enough to partner in a business adventure. We both eventually landed on our feet, got other jobs and moved on. With his passing, I wonder more and more how that business venture might have gone?

Chuck died followed an accident -- he fell off the roof of his house and went head first into the ground. He had to be put into an induced coma to have any hope of recovery, but after three days, there was no hope and all plugs were pulled. Apparently, the edge of his roof collapsed, which resulted in his fall. 

(This is at the least a stern, first-hand  reminder to always be careful when atop roofs or ladders!)

His funeral service proved we had more in common than I thought. And, surprisingly, he had years ago moved northward, from south Salt Lake County, to northern Weber County. I wish I had realized that and got some connection going again, as I had not seen or talked to him for some 11 years, even though he lived just 9 miles away for almost the past decade, instead of 50 miles or more for the previous years.

This should be a lesson to myself (and those who read this), to not let relationship lapses go on, or you may regret your lost chances one day!

Chuck was a deep thinker, very innovative, a great writer and editor. He always treated me fair. I felt a better person for his friendship and wish I had not not let it go inactive.




No comments:

Post a Comment